Earlier today the Summit staff got together to take a look at some of Google's new features. At first I completely ignored the fact that Google is now called iGoogle. I figured they were just being trendy.
Turns out that they've rolled out a whole new set of features that you can use to personalize your Google page. I'm pretty sure it's just a ploy to get more information about their users -- "Oh! You searched for fly fishing once in December of 2005! Here are 25 ads about fly fishing." I guess it's better than ads for dating sites and/or penis enlargement pills (unless that's what you searched for in December of 05), but it still kind of creeps me out.
I've come to accept and occasionally embrace the fact that we're now constantly connected, but I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't boggle my mind.
I recently got an iPhone, and I swear it's possessed. I'm always accidentally hitting buttons. The other night I was in a noisy bar when the words "The Desperate Man" mysteriously appeared at the top of the screen. For at least fifteen minutes I was convinced that my phone was sending me messages about the other bar patrons, until I finally realized that I had accidentally started playing my phone's iPod and "The Desperate Man" was a song by the Black Keys.
I programmed different ringtones for different callers, and half the time I don't even recognize that the sounds I'm hearing are coming from my phone. One of the ringtones is a very realistic quacking noise. I temporarily freaked out one Saturday wondering how a duck had gotten loose in my third-floor apartment.
But beyond the perpetual terror/confusion I feel whenever someone calls me, the iPhone has some pretty incredible features. I was excited to find the Public Radio Tuner application, which allows you to listen to public stations across the country (including the Summit) on your phone. It also works if you have an iPod Touch.
If you want to try it out, there are full instructions on the "listen live" section of our webpage:
http://www.913thesummit.com/audio/iphone.htm
Ain't technology grand?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Liz,
Try locking your keys on your iPhone when you're not using... unless you like the adventure of never knowing.
Hey, I iGoogled you and guess what I found?
Peace,
Kitty Cat
Hi Liz,
It's Matt's (as in Heather's boyfriend) sister Laura. I just wanted to say that I installed the public radio tuner on my iPod and it's freaking awesome. I will use it to listen to you for sure!
Have a good day!
Post a Comment