Thursday, January 22, 2009

If I ruled the world

It seems like the country is completely obsessed with Barack Obama. Every news site, blog, TV station and Hollywood gossip show is pumping out the details of the inauguration. It's almost like there's no other news. I don't know, maybe it's because so many people think there's not much to feel good about right now, and the inauguration is a bright spot in an otherwise dreary start to 2009.

I watched and was moved by the inauguration, especially as a native Illinoisan who has followed Obama's career from fairly early on. In the course of consuming too many Obama news stories in the past couple of days, I came across a really bizarre one in Rolling Stone. Apparently, Obama is inheriting a a huge record collection that resides in the basement of the White House.

I'm not making this up. The RIAA started the library during the Nixon years, and the collection grew to include rock classics from Bob Dylan, David Bowie, even the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Obama has already admitted his love for Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z and Bruce Springsteen and proved it by inviting them to play at the inauguration. The whole thing got me wondering: if I were elected president, who would I invite to play at my inauguration?

Think about it. You're the new leader of the free world. You can pretty much book any band you want with that gig, unless they've already got major issues with you politically (probably not a good start for your new job if that's the case).

After careful consideration, these are the artists that I would want on hand if I were about to take the oath of office. I had to limit it to five because once I got going I realized that I was just inviting my entire iPod to play.

This list does not include the Jonas Brothers. Sorry girls.

1. The Flaming Lips

From a giant hand-built spaceship to balloons and confetti shooters and Wayne Coyne's bubble... this is probably one of the most insane and creative stage shows out there right now. I can't even imagine what they would cook up for something big like a presidential inauguration, but I would like to find out.

2. Prince

Because it's time to party like it's 2009.

3. The White Stripes or the Raconteurs or really anyone who wants to join Jack White on stage

I'm kind of bitter about never really having seen Jack White play live. I'm not picky; I'd take either the Stripes or the Raconteurs. But how cool would it be if you just let Jack White invite some friends out to play with him? Who knows who would show up.

4. Spoon

There's no real reason for this other than the fact that I love Spoon.

5. Justin Timberlake

I make no apologies. I like Justin Timberlake. Though I'm pretty sure it's going to cost me some votes in 2016.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Great choices Liz, but I would go old school with:

1. Johnny Cash (The Man in Black rockin' The House of White)
2. John Lennon "Power to the People"
3. Billy Bragg (love his way with words and guitar)
4. and for fun The Barenaked Ladies

I know two of these have passed, but if I ruled the world I could play with time.